Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Blaming it on the Wind

Let me start my story of an excuse over a week ago when my sister-in-law handed me her copy of Stephanie Meyer's famously addictive novel. Being an avid reader, I had put it on my mental shelf of books I wanted to read but had refused to buy a copy or wait in the eternal "hold" line in the Morgan Hill library system. I told myself that when the time was right, I'd find it in my hands. That time presented itself when I found myself in a book discussion with Gina (sis-in-law) and heard myself saying, "Do you have a copy I can borrow?"  Magically I found her hefty copy in my hands and was on my way.  (See, books do come to you if you wait!)

However, I came home and placed it on the floor by my bed and faithfully finished another amazingly good book of which I was nearing the end. (The Story of Edgar Sawtelle) I shed some tears over that one--the beautiful writing, the story and characters lingering (the mark of a good book in my opinion) so I was not too rushed to jump into another book I had a feeling would suck me in, drain me of every purposeful ounce, keep me from feeding my children on time, taking showers, answering emails. 

So today when we awoke, our family spring break plans were to head to the coast. At the last minute I threw my borrowed copy of Twilight into our beach bag with the "just in case" thought running through my mind. You know, if I had a moment to stop and sit on a blanket and capture some quiet beach moments...

Enter Wind. 

We headed to the coast fully aware that it was breezy outside (Morgan Hill is notoriously windy), knowing that we'd be bundled up at the beach, but the kids could still run and dig. (They really wanted to go!)  When we arrived at our favorite destination in Moss Beach it was very evident that the "breeze" we thought we could endure was a California version of hurricane force gales, throwing insanely sized walls of waves onto the shore line. Not to mention sweeping gusts of sand up the beach to greet us as we crested the dune trail to the beach. Yes, we immediately turned around and headed back to the car.  Zach observed what I had been thinking, "Mom, we came all the way to coast to eat lunch in the car!" 

In the safety of the car we all looked at each other with a "what now?"  The wind was obviously a factor anywhere outside so we listed our options and landed on my most favorite place: Chuck E. Cheese. Of course everyone in the Gilroy/MH area had the same idea but we entered bravely, threw financial caution to the wind and bought fistfuls of tokens, even a pizza (that's bravery folks). 

For the next THREE AND A HALF HOURS my kids and hubby were happily lost amongst the noise and "fun" while I conveniently curled up in a booth and cracked my book open and dived in. (I'd like to say that I saw two other mom's doing the same!) 

Yes, I will blame the wind today for pushing me through the first 173 pages of Twilight. I hesitate to thank the wind for allowing me to have three and a half hours of almost uninterrupted reading time. Because after living in the windy town of Davis for 7 years, spending most of my time riding my bike in the bug littered wind, I have come to a settled dislike for it. But, you know... I could almost enjoy it in my little Chuck E. Cheese booth.


p.s. first impressions of Twilight...I'm always amazed at how the most simplest of writing can make millions! It's the ability to tell a story and create characters that you want to identify with that gets people every time. (Case in point: Harry Potter)  Who does not want to identify with two people mysteriously attracted to each other? Dangerous liaisons always hit at some deep fleshly string. Formula works every time.

No comments: