Monday, July 27, 2009

A little Harry Potter inspiration


My son and I went to see the newest Harry Potter film today. Love Harry Potter. Have faithfully read each unfolding book. And while I have enjoyed the films, one can simply not compare them to them to the actual stories. No, of course not.
But today as the opening scenes of the film played upon the screen I was immediately entranced with the scene, not for the story line, but for the beautiful cinematography: the soft, yet grainy, blue-white light, Harry and Dumbledore set upon a dark, shallow depth of field, the intimate camera angles and perspectives...all of which carried such emotion and weight that I actually cried.
Unless you have seen the film it is hard to describe. If you did, perhaps you were entranced by it too? Or...most likely, you saw the film, are trying to remember the opening scenes and cannot remember what was so special about it. (What the heck are you talking about Tracey?!) Well, when I close my eyes to remember it I am still emotionally moved by it. (I admit, I am a bit geeky about such stuff.) I snapped myself out of my trance so that I could pay attention to the movie and then found myself once again entranced during the intimate scenes of Dumbledore's death. Again, the soft beautiful side lit light that gently illuminated his face paired with an intimate photographic camera angle swept me away again. (I know, I know... such a geek. And so sad to me that when I see it on dvd later that my tv will not do it justice. There's just something about seeing it on a big screen.)
I have always been moved by beautiful cinematography. It has always oddly touched my soul. I am drawn to pictures that capture beautiful light and use it to evoke emotion and story. I think this is why I first picked up a camera, because I have such a desire to capture life, a moment, a sliver of time, in such a way that it captures not just the image of it, or the memory of it, but the soul of it, leaving me and the viewer moved. I have sooooo far to go in my skills in doing this but it is my one singular goal for which I pick up my camera every day...so that I can get better at it.

2 comments:

Rose said...

I have always loved how breathtaking cinematography can be as well. But warn of spoiler alerts please! LOL! wonderful light in the image.

Amy Jo said...

Inspiration can be found anywhere. Lovely photo.