Thursday, August 19, 2010

daydream


Those who have known me for quite some time can attest to my periodic need to "stare into outer space". Yes, I'm a zoner. I embrace it fully. (Go ahead, say it: Spacey Tracey. Have heard it all my life. Totally bounces off of me.) I am pretty sure it has something to do with my highly introverted bent, my need to refuel on my own. I can tell when I am stressed, overwhelmed, over-busy, tired, and depressed because I will find myself "checking out" more frequently. It is my body's way of taking a needed restful pause. 

Oh let me count the places I love to daydream:

in a good hammock
on my bed on a breezy sunny afternoon
in the passenger seat of a car, staring out the window
in a lounge chair...on a deck, in the mountains, over looking the ocean
sitting by a campfire staring into the flames
on my pillow staring out the window those few moments before I drift to sleep
(there's more, but seriously, this could go on for pages)
   
Everyone pauses, copes, processes in his or her own way. Some smoke. Some exercise. (Totally wish I could be one of those people). Others need to externally talk talk talk (looking in the direction of my extroverted husband while I draw a deep sigh). Me...I daydream...with no shame.

Daydreaming is a place where my mind unfastens the seat belt and roams about the cabin, sometimes even leaves out the back door (those are the ones where I am sure I leave the planet).  It is a place where I do not have to construct, prioritize, or produce.  Instead it is a restful realm where my random thoughts bump and mingle without tethers...the place where my most creative thoughts dwell.

If you could only see me now as I sit before my computer, hands resting on the keypad, staring out my front room window to the street and park and hills beyond. Every blog post is built from daydreaming moments. Thank the good Lord for such a delicious gift.  If you have not harnessed the power, please do give it try. Go shamelessly daydream!



p.s. I love these pictures of my "nephew". He is an active growing boy, full of energy. When I saw him "pausing" amidst the crazies of packing up and leaving the beach I took my lens cap off and quickly caught him sitting atop that rock, catching the sun with his hair, thinking a million thoughts, or maybe none. I envied his perch.

1 comment:

Sonya said...

Beautiful post! It speaks to my very soul! I need daydreaming too but it has been out of my reach lately ... Thank you for reminding me that it is essential to who I am and that I must find the time to indulge in it.
xoxoxo