Tuesday, January 18, 2011

taking the higher view


I know, lately I have this thing for bird's eye views. But you see, I tried a few perspectives but couldn't get all of the kids in the shot and I so wanted to capture all of them, with all of their gaming devices. (Well except that poor kid in the right corner who is regretting that he didn't charge the battery in his.) A perch on the bed with my lens at its widest angel and I felt like I was peering down from the ceiling like a hovering, ghostly observer. 

As I snapped it I had a brief moment of perspective. How come I never take this perspective with my own life?  In the middle of my chaos, tears, quiet, or quarrels I could simply stop and climb the ladder, snap on my wide angle lens, and view my moment from a mosquito's view. No, a wall-crawling spider's view. Wait, how about an angel's view? 

Hovering a bit, I just might discover that leaving the earth releases the tethers of emotional and mental ruts. It brings everything and everyone into an unemotional, nonpartisan, clarifying view. (Any more adjectives you wanna add?)

I miss important details when I'm stuck in my earthly, self-centered worn out spot. Details like, there is more going on than what I can see. There are other stories I may be missing. Or, maybe, just maybe, I am not the only one inhabiting this planet.

Well then, that's humbling. 

Won't you join me in climbing the ladder this week? There's clarity up there that I have been missing and I need a fresh view. Maybe you do too?



p.s. on a funnier note: I thought this photo was chuckle-worthy...and a bit telling. I find it funny that there is a language being spoken amongst this crew that I have not a clue how to speak. It is a world I have, nor ever will enter. It is telling in that it reveals what our culture now defines as "playing with friends": meeting up in a fantasy world to compete against each other for points and status. This picture proves that I am now one of the "older" people in the room.

5 comments:

Sonya said...

I would love to join you in climbing the ladder. Not just this week but every time life requires another perspective. Which is every day.

Tracey, I am so happy you are back to blogging! Every single one of your posts (since the beginning of the new year especially) pulls at my heart strings evoking an avalanche of feelings... I am so enjoying the music. Thank you!!!
Love,
Sonya

Anonymous said...

Powerful words.

Makes me want to be sure to always have my ladder in the trunk of my car, just in case. ;)

Steve Babuljak said...

This is such a visual commentary to what has happened to our kids these days. They have an extremely high "electronic/digital intelligence" while their "physical intelligence" is very low. 10 or better yet 20 years ago these same 6 boys would have been using this spare time to build a fort or create a 6-man soccer team or use building blocks/legos to make something...real.

Don't get me wrong, I love my iPhone and think the bubble level app is genius but I also glad I know how to use a real one along with a hammer.

Great photo!!!

Steve Babuljak said...

Oops! It also goes to show you that spell check can't help you not sound like an idiot where some solid proof reading would have:

"...but I AM also glad..."

Krista Lund said...

love this view and i vow to perch myself up like an angel more often