Tuesday, April 12, 2011

mistakes

Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by the amount of photographic beauty out there in Internet Land. I have to daily remind myself to choose to set my face to my own path and purpose and not let what others are doing drive me to a game of comparison.  I was already thinking about this battle when a photographer friend mentioned her own similar battle and so I realized it was not just me who struggled with this. How silly to believe that we are alone in our struggles. We forget that others are imperfect like us. (As photographers this battle is compounded by that fact that we only display what we think is our best work, forgetting that others also have a pile of rejects on the editing room floor that no one will see.)

As I was going through old photos, uploading them to my online storage site, I came across these out-takes that I never shared. They were "mistakes" in my opinion. Lacking in focus or whatever my insecurities were telling me. I might have gone and edited them a bit to try and dress them up, but honestly I did not have the energy for it.

On this second pass I stopped and decided to share them with you. They are SOOC (straight out of my camera). Never touched. This is a quick look at me, struggling to get my manual settings situated, my composition right. Some of them are misfires, some are the pictures snapped before I caught the one I wanted to keep.





This one?  Not sure what I was doing?



I was trying to capture my "niece" in that golden sun. She was laughing at her uncle teasing her. Missed her face completely...BUT I caught her smile. 


A total misfire. Sometimes in that crazy sun flare the autofocus can't find a place to rest. I remember being frustrated with this and struggling to find my settings.


I think I put a similar photo in a collage somewhere. Now I love it.


Bean's "meatball"...




I know they are not total failures. In fact, now I love them and am embarrassed that the only "mistake" I made was to have thought they were as awful as I first thought. I am keeping them because I am sad that I was so critical of myself. 

I guess what I am trying to say to myself is very cliche: no one is perfect Tracey. 

And whatever/whomever I am comparing myself to is just soooooo not worth it. 

12 comments:

Stephanie said...

Wonderfully written:) God has gifted you with words and photography. Thank you for your comment yesterday!

LeAnna said...

I love this, because I understand it. I wish anyone who has ever held a camera in their hands would read it. Photography is an art, and each eye sees something different. You've gotta photograph the beauty you see. Sure, someone else might catch a different angle, and it might be equal or surpassing in amazingness...but no one sees what your eye does. That is what beauty is all about. :)
I love your "duds" :) It's inspired me to go through my files and see which ones I threw away...

Anonymous said...

NO picture taken at the beach is EVER wrong. Got it? ;)

stacey said...

I have to smile. These are your "mistakes"? All I see is SOOC goodness.

Thank you for the reminder, Tracey.

Skeller said...

"Compare and despair ... I'm smart enough. I'm good enough. And goshdarnit, people like me." Stuart Smalley. Just felt like dating myself a little bit. [grin]

Sounds like a thought-provoking conversation ... ;-)

I know my husband thinks I'm a little nuts that I don't delete more aggressively. But I'm always thinking that tomorrow I'll have different favorites than I have today. And I'm utterly convinced that 3 years down the road I'll look in disdain at some of the editing that I'm currently doing (so gotta keep those sooc copies). Yikes, would I be the photographic equivalent of those crazy people on that "Hoarding" show?!?

Blessings to you, Tracey. Let's go forth and not compare and despair ... :-D

Andrea said...

It is oh so easy to get caught-up in the comparing...
These shots are all amazing! Wish my photos were as gorgeous as your "mistakes." :-)

Eva said...

Perfection kills us everytime. But, you and your pictures are amazing. Thank you for sharing.

Unknown said...

I found you through your happiness photo in the mortal muses stream, and I am really enjoying your photography and your blog. This post speaks to me. I have felt stuck by my fears of what others are thinking.

Roy Hovey said...

You're such a visionary and incredible talent. Everyday life action so beautifully framed and rendered. Keep on keepin' on. RH

Heather M. said...

I'm so glad you kept these photos. They are gorgeous. And I know exactly what you mean about being overwhelmed by all the beauty out there in photo-land. Be encouraged that you are the only you and taking photos that only you see and creating your own beauty. You are so inspiring to me. :)

Chantel said...

If these are mistakes then I wish I made mistakes in photography everyday ;-P They are beautiful.

Krista Lund said...

you are so not alone in your worries. that is what makes this photography journey fun!
i love your outtakes and misfires. do you too? that is all that matters :)