Monday, June 20, 2011

a berry good time


At the berry picking farm you first must weigh your empty berry basket, after which the farm worker takes a piece of masking tape and marks the bottom of the basket so that when you return with your load the worker can subtract that amount from the total berry weigh-in.

I joked with Bean that we needed to weigh her before we began picking, mark her bottom with a little piece of masking tape, and then sit her on the scale when we returned to weigh her berries. It was an act of great will for her to not munch her way through the berry patch.


We found a life-sized strawberry ripe for pickin'....


Adding to the stash...


"One for my basket, and one for me."


Gotta wear the appropriate shoes...


This is the apple orchard you can pick apples in during the fall. 
The light in there was so beautiful I was crying for a chance take my camera in there.


Waiting to be weighed...carried to the car. Officially hers to eat as she pleases.


This is the fourth year we have kicked off our summer with berry picking and every year my son
is Mr. Intense about it. He is the master berry picker and makes sure we have enough for cobblers and pies. Can I tell you that in just the last four days I have eaten so many berries that Bean and I have a rash? Happens every summer and then our bodies adjust.

Here is the berry pickin' gang. Note the child second from the right. She's mine.


I love summer simply for the fruit it brings. Don't you agree?

7 comments:

Andrea said...

Yum. Yum. YUM! I may have to add this to my list of things to do this summer. I really love the photo of the box of strawberries and the red Converse. :-)

Juliette said...

PIK-YOR-SEF
that totally made me smile. I think there are strawberry fields somewhere nearby, but when I see the prices of blackberries and raspberries it's like I'm paying to ship them from another solar system, but they're probably only shipping them from the US, ha!

Happy summer kick-off! We're heading out for vacation later this week, so summer mode is officially on!

Angela Chandler said...

Hey Tracey, where is this farm? My kids would LOVE this! Thanks for sharing the beautiful images from your adventure...love it!

Amanda said...

Great photos! Love that last group shot. Your initial berry-picking post motivated me to find a spot near us...we're picking our own selves some berries on Friday. Can't wait. Thanks for the inspiration!

Heather M. said...

i think red chucks are the perfect berry pickin' shoes! :) i totally want to do this this year but we're still a few weeks away from having anything ready to pick. love that you kick off your summer this way - totally awesome!

stacey said...

Well aren't these just adorable?

Hoping to take the kids berry pickin' next week!

georgia b. said...

amazing color in these photos, t!

have you started you new web site yet?