Thursday, June 23, 2011

the first and last

This is for my sweet J...















She asked, and then shot down every excuse I gave her.

I said I would think about it for awhile because I swore I would never say yes to a wedding.

So, after I awhile I said yes. I said yes because I love her, I wanted to support her in this new chapter, and she swore the wedding would be small.

The day was perfect, the light beautiful, the bride relaxed, the gathering indeed small, the kids adorable (more of them later), and my nerves...well...they did pretty well. Except that I could not sleep that night because I kept taking pictures in my head, hearing the click of the shutter.

I know it's always good to say never say never, so I will allow myself room to change my mind, but this was my first and last wedding. I loved capturing the story of the day and the in between moments, but I have no need to step into this realm of photography. I have many friends who do this for a living and I would humbly and happily be a second shooter, to be the invisible spectator to the blessed event.

So J...these photographs are for you girl. They are just a few of the first I have edited. Just 999 more to go!

Love you.

t

14 comments:

Ginger Snaps! said...

I love these! You did a fantastic job. I'm shooting a wedding in a month, and I am scared silly. It may be my one and only, too. At least you tried it!

Unknown said...

These are wonderful!! The setting is stunning, and the couple is beautiful! Fantastic job!

Marvett Smith said...

I love that first image! So sweet!

Angela Chandler said...

Oh, you did such a lovely job!! I knew you would though, ha! I'm sure they will cherish them forever!

Andrea said...

Love the first photo. So cute!

stacey said...

These are beautiful, Tracey. What I love is that they are "you". Your style shines through in each and every photo.

Way to go for saying yes. What a wonderful gift.

And feel free to give me any words of advice. I'm starting to freak out. ;-)

The Isaacs said...

Hi Tracey! This is Jane, J's sis-in-law... It was very nice meeting you at their wedding. I LOVE these photos that you have posted and can't wait to see more! They're such beautiful photos that I know will be deeply treasured by the family. Amazing!

Naomi said...

these are beautiful, you did wonderfully! i adore the first shot!

Tami said...

Spectacular!

Nicole Hoefer said...

First off, AMAZING photos, as usual. Second, I hear you on the "first and LAST wedding thing". I shot a wedding Jan. 1 of this year and said, "I DO NOT want to be a wedding photographer. EVER!" Then I shot another the end of May, another, 5 days later and have another on Sunday. All that to say, my "never EVER" is a much softer "never EVER" than it was before. Still don't want it to be my focus but it does have it's upsides. Especially if you only do a handful per year. And Trace, it's kind of a crime for you not to share that gift with some super lucky brides out there now and then... :) As always, humbled looking at your work. Love it.

Skeller said...

[swoon]. that is all.

no, that's not all. I LOVE these images. You done good, girl. While I completely understand your "first & last" sentiment, I do think your reticence is the wedding world's loss. You have such a perfectly complementary gifting of not only being able to take beautiful portraits but also the ability to beautifully "tell the story."

ps. or should I say "pssst & shhhh"... I'm also shooting what is hopefully my "first & last" wedding in a couple weeks, followed the next week by 2nd shooting a wedding (far more my "flavor").

Leslie Lewis said...

These pictures are just magical. Thank you Tracey for doing this!!

Denise said...

these are beautiful.

Jennifer Tune said...

I knew these pictures would be fabulous, but oh my goodness! They are amazing and I am so humbled you said "yes." Thank you, thank you, thank you for capturing our day so beautifully! I love you, girl!