Sunday, March 22, 2009

A bit schizophrenic...but that's OK


Since I have taken up the challenge to use my camera daily I have found that I have become hyper aware of the quality of light that I move through, that envelopes me, that illuminates people and objects. The beauty of a certain light filled moment is enough for me to snatch up my camera and attempt to capture it. 
However, today was a day that I battled with it. If you were anywhere near the Bay Area today you would know how the sky continually changed, moment by moment the sun dancing in and out behind the wind fueled clouds, the rain pounding against the windows at one moment, and then disappearing with a burst of sun. (A bit schizophrenic!)

So there I am outside, in the chilly wind, delighting in the discovery of this nameless flowering something, trying to capture its leafy appendages, but I cannot seem to land on any sense of appropriate exposure. Yes, have a good laugh at the brief glimpse into my mental conversation: It's sunny. No...wait, it's cloudy. No...wait, it's sunny again...and yikes, it's flippin' windy. Okay, turn off manual focus. Wait for the wind to calm down. Holy cow, it's cold.  (Soundin' a bit schizophrenic I must say.)
The two pictures above are taken within seconds. Note the first one subdued in diffused light, the second illuminated by the white light of a bright mid day sun. 
I like the first one for its softer morning-like quality of light. I'm drawn to the main cluster of leaves and amazed at the creative wonder of them. My eye rests there and the light is peaceful.
But, wait. I like the second one as well, for the summer evoking warmth of light and the little filtered bokeh circles that were caught from the sun filtering through the grass in the background. (It's my goal to work on capturing more bokeh--love it.)
So since the weather and light were quite schizophrenic today, I thought it only appropriate to post two pictures of the same subject lit by the conflicting weather. Why battle with the indecision?  If the weather could flip-flop today, then so could I. 

1 comment:

Zerlindatar said...

I like the 1st one best - subdued in a diffused light.