Thursday, March 12, 2009

"Lady" 101

My dear sweet Michaela...today you were out exploring in the backyard. You discovered a lady bug amongst the flowering weeds and giggled with the discovery. I watched and listened as you lovingly made friends with her. Calling her "Lady". 
After I uploaded the photos from my camera and saw the series of photos, I imagined your little voice instructing all fellow six year olds on the "how-to's" of taking care of a "Lady"...



First, call her "Lady". That is her proper name. 
Hold her gently, even though it tickles and you cannot hold still. 






Then offer her a chair, as that is the polite thing to do.






After she has settled in, give her a "home"-- place it on top of her.  
A nice pot will do.





Be a good hostess: check in on Lady to see how she is doing, 
if she needs any food...or light.






When Lady has mysteriously fluttered away, move on to a different activity, such as making sun shadow animals on the fence. This will occupy your time for a few minutes and help you get over the sadness of loosing her.



p.s. This process is infinitely more fun when you are wearing your sassy striped leggings and a tank top. (My mom wouldn't let me wear just the tank top to school so I had to put on a cute shirt over it.) 

3 comments:

Zerlindatar said...

Your children seem to be getting less and less aware of the camera and you are getting lots of wonderful photos - so completely different from the everyday run-of-the-mill posed photos than many people take.

Anonymous said...

So cute! I have a 5 year old daughter, Alaina, whom I homeschool, and she is enjoying her Ladybug Land! You buy the little land, mail in the certificate, and receive ladybug larvae that you can enjoy watching; as they change and grow! Ours should be adults soon! Our entire family has enjoyed watching the process!

penandview said...

oh my gosh, I need to get that Ladybug Land! That would be a great gift for Michaela. Thanks for the idea!