Saturday, March 28, 2009

Name That Activity!!

Thanks for playing! Are you ready? 
(Cue game show music...)
OK. Here we go!
Name the activity in the first picture below.

If you said, "Woman knitting something green, " then you are right!
Good Job! (Cue applause) That one was easy. Let's move on.
Ok, name the activity in the picture below...

 If you said, "A mud splattered boy monopolizing the garden hose," then you are right and ready to move on to the third and final round!
Ok, here you go. Final round.
Name the activity in the picture below...

Hmm...not quite sure? Need help? Ok, here's another picture...

I know...this one is a bit tricky. Let me help you with another picture...

If you guessed, "Woman and kids offering up empty containers to the 
recycling gods," or  "Crazy woman performing some bizarre ritualistic dance," 
then I am sorry, you are wrong. (Cue buzzer)

The real answer? To satisfy your curiosity (and to prove that my friend has not lost her marbles--a little crazy, yes--but not totally delusional--yes I love her)...
Ok. So. I am not sure if you have noticed lately, like in the last week or so, but Morgan Hill and the surrounding area has been invaded by butterflies. After one too many splats on my windshield while on the freeway, and witnessing a family of them in my backyard, 
I began to think I was seeing double, triple. 
As we sat out in our front yard today with some good friends, my girlfriend, Aleta, says, "Hey, what's that floating all over your house and street? Are they leaves? Where are they coming from?!" I looked up to our roof line and then out into the street to see a TON of butterflies swooping in two's and three's over our heads, across the street, into the park, and continuing northward. It was the craziest, coolest thing you ever saw!  I really am not exaggerating when I say that there were hundreds of them. Not in masses, but fluttering down over our house in clusters. Their wings silent, bodies swooping in drunken lines, dodging the kids and the cars. 
Next thing I know, everyone is jumping up, grabbing cups.  Scott is cutting off bottoms of milk containers, and everyone is trying to catch a butterfly! I would like to make note here that Zach caught two. Aleta, well, zero. Not even after she went double fisted with the empty coffee and cottage cheese containers. Next time my friend? But it was sure entertaining! :)


I have been trying for over a week to capture a picture of a butterfly. I've sat in my backyard waiting for them to land, but could never snap off a picture. They must have Superman vision--every time I tip-toed near one, it fluttered away. They were elusive and forever out of my lens' reach. So I have to confess that the one above has stunned...by my son. He caught it in his milk jug and knocked it senseless while doing so. Poor little guy (girl?) is recuperating here, traumatized also by my daughter who then picked it up by its wings to carry it to safer grounds. I'm pretty sure it's now resting in peace. :)

Oh, and I tried to Google "butterflies in mass in Morgan Hill" but came up with zilch. If any one could please tell me why we have been graced by their silent visit, please let me know!

And thanks for playing...I'd like to give Aleta props for allowing me to post her in my blog. If you know her, you'd know that dancing in the street with empty containers, trying to catch butterflies, while strangers drive by giving her looks, is nothing out of the ordinary when you spend time with her. And that's why I love her sooooooo much!

1 comment:

Aleta Lewis said...

Man...those darn butterflies! Soo much fun, but still wishing I acutually caught one! :) Do you like my Michael Jordan tongue? That's embarrassing! Love you friend.