Wednesday, April 29, 2009

40

Today he entered into the land of 40.  I wanted to document him on this special day because, well, I guess to capture him in a moment he will never have again. In a blink he'll be 50, 60, 70. Ten years ago we were awaiting the arrival of our first child. He had fewer wrinkles, fewer gray hairs. Now ten years later--of fatherhood, life, work, growth, pain, hardship, joy and blessing--I find that I love those wrinkles and grays. And I love him more. His eyes are more colored with wisdom, the depth of his love more fearless and patient and kind. Who knew that almost 20 years ago when I walked into that UCDavis Safeway, went through his check-out line, that I would meet my husband-to-be--a very cute Safeway check out clerk. Sometimes I wish I could experience that one moment over again with that knowledge. My heart would have almost certainly skipped an extra beat. (Even though it kinda already did when my eyes first settled on him.) 
Amazing how our lives have unfolded, how he has grown into a man I love more each year. How blessed I am that he chose me. I would be lost without him.  Happy Birthday Pal.

2 comments:

Mockabee Seven said...

What a sweet post. Happy Birthday, Scott! Wow. 20 years of history together, that's special!

Oh, and great photo, too!

Sue Brazelton said...

Forty may seem old, until you hit fifty. My aunt who is 92, thinks I am still just a kid. It's all relative. And I am very happy that you are so happy on your husband's happy birthday.