Friday, April 24, 2009

Down the Rabbit Hole

May I invite you, for a moment, to step into a random child-like, "down the rabbit hole moment"? 
Because I had such a moment this afternoon when I stumbled upon a little cluster of mushrooms popping up through the mulch along side our driveway. While flat on my back, peering through my viewfinder, I suddenly felt as if any moment I might see Alice rounding the corner into view, looking for White Rabbit...but instead, discovering Caterpillar atop Mr. Mushroom's cap smoking a hookah.  I could almost hear him say, "Who are YOU?"  as Alice squints up into his pudgy caterpillar face.  Are you with me? 

But perhaps you've never read Alice in Wonderland, or know of her odd adventures with the Mad Hatter and the Queen of Tarts. Or witnessed a Caterpillar smoking a hookah. Maybe you just envisioned some bearded garden gnome peering out from behind the mushroom's trunk eyeing you with curiosity, perhaps startled by your presence?

Oh! And if you were my daughter having the "down the rabbit hole" moment, you would almost certainly be looking for any Pixie Hollow fairy: Tink, Iridessa, Fawn, Bess, Rosseta, Vidia...waiting for you upon the cap, inviting you into a mischievous fairy adventure.  

But before I pull you too far down into the rabbit hole, (and before you decide I might be just one tiny marble short), I will leave you with a different picture. One that will just inspire a simple "ooh, how lovely" sort of response.  You know, one that will move you quickly off to your weekend.  Because after reading today's post you just may be questioning my sanity, eager to be out of here...
...that's ok. I'll admit that I am a step to the right of the sanity line. I promise that I am not smoking a hookah. It's called, "my daughter has been coming into my room in the middle of the night asking for cough medicine, wanting to sleep in the little bed on the floor (because she's afraid to go back to her bed), but tossing and turning and coughing enough to keep me semi awake/asleep until my husband's alarm goes off at 5am and then every 10 minutes because he's hit the snooze, and then everyone is up at 7am to get ready for school while I lay dazed and blurry-eyed on my pillow wondering if I slept at all?"  
In other words: sleep deprivation.

1 comment:

Sue Brazelton said...

Good for you for lying down on your back to get a photograph. I think it shows a more interesting view.