Friday, June 12, 2009

Berry Pickin'

Today we took a trip to the "pick your own" berry farm. 
(Glad there was a lifeguard on duty.)


An abundance of strawberries and ollalaberries awaited us. 







The big kids picked from the tops 
and the short cake, Colettey Cakes, picked down below.


Here's Zach, the number one berry picker. We just got finished making a strawberry pie with his flat of strawberries and he was really into it. I mentioned that he could also make a strawberry shake (his fave) so he's eager to do that. With the ollala's I'm making mini pies and freezing some for future use.


Some of wanted to eat more than pick. 
And some of those somebodies discovered from another somebody 
that you could squish the berries between 
your fingers and paint your hands with them. 
All I can say is--thank God for wipes. 

Off to go make more pie crusts and cobbler crunch toppings. 
I'm wishing right about now that I knew how to make jam. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite things to do. Glad you had fun!

JJ Heller said...

so pretty! I went berry picking once when I was in college, and I often think about it with fond memories... except the part where my parents' dog dumped the bowl of my freshly sliced strawberries, and proceeded to eat them. I was SO MAD!

Anyhow, I love the photo 5th from the top. That's my fave.

Anonymous said...

i remember picking berries at this very ranch years ago! so glad your family enjoyed it too and confirmed the name of the ranch, which had almost escaped me. i saw a truck with their logo and watsonville on it this week and thought of them. here's to yummy berry pies, shakes and jam!