Tuesday, August 18, 2009

You know it's the first day of school when you head out the door in your...

Other signs that reveal that it is indeed the first day of school:
we actually use the alarm clock
breakfast is eaten at 7am (not 10am)
hubby packs lunches (yea!)
new outfits are donned
pictures are taken
uninterrupted computer time
flip flops are put in the hall closet
quiet in the car--I'm the only one in it!
(and AM radio is dialed in!)
house stays clean for more than two seconds
early bed time!!!!

Oh, and...
I've shed a few tears over another summer gone
and the fact that my kids are growing faster every moment
that it makes me miss them more and more
and more that I think too much about when they will be
grown and gone and off on their own
no longer coming home from their first day of school.

It's just days like this that mark the passage of time so clearly for me...
the weight of  it is just too much.






1 comment:

Linda Ayers Tarvin said...

Tracey, you are wise beyond your years to realize how very precious the summers with your children are. My children are 35 and 37 now and I was never anxious for summer to be over so that they would be back in school. I always was amazed at how fast the summer flew past and wondering why we couln't have worked in more trips to the beach. When I see the stories and photos on your blog I can tell that you are enjoying your children, despite any occasional frustrations of parenthood.