Thursday, September 24, 2009

Help, I need an intervention

Here's why I have a problem:
As I'm pulling out my quick boxed cake mix to whip up cupcakes for M's bday party my friend, Kelley, (who happens to have come over at the perfect time and who happens to be the Queen of the cupcake bakers) looks at me with "a look" and says...

"You're not going to just use that box mix for Michaela's cupcakes are you?"

"Ummmm...yes. Is that not okay?" 

"Oh no no no," she says, "You can't just do the box mix, it's not good enough. If you must (said with an air of disgust), then you have to tweak it."

"Please," I say, "just tell me what to do and I will obey. I bow to your cupcake skills."

To the box mix she has me add:
1 cup sour cream
3 eggs
1/2 cup oil
3/4 cup water
1 tsp vanilla
(she tells me to add chocolate chips but I decline because M has requested vanilla only)
Bake at 350 for twenty minutes.

When I ask her if it's okay that we are altering the water/egg/oil ratio and adding other stuff (because I'm afraid it will alter the chemistry of the ingredients or something horrible like that) she firmly defends her recipe. 

"I promise you. You will never make the simple box mix again."

Three days later I am still stuffing my face with the left over cupcakes.  As I make my way towards the kitchen I hear myself say, "This is the last one. After this one, no more." But yet, a day later (ok, sometimes hours later) I am back for "just one more".  
Seriously folks, this qualifies as an addiction right? I have a problem.

My name is Tracey and I am addicted to yummy cupcakes.


p.s. As I write this I realize that I've written about another cupcake. See, it's a pattern. I need some serious help.

1 comment:

Juliette said...

dang. now i want some boxed cake mix. -no wait! I have an extra box of US cake mix! long story on why, but I do - so how many cupcakes does this make? oh this is spelling trouble...i KNOW I'm going to get stuck with tons of leftovers b/c Germans just can't get into 'fluffy American cake'...wicked!