Monday, May 11, 2009

Totally worth it. Totally.


If you are not a chocolate lover just stop reading now.  (You completely baffle me and I stand astounded at the lameness of your taste buds, but whatever.)
Saturday my girlfriend and I ended our one day early Mother's Day outing  at Icing on the Cake in Los Gatos. Bad news was that we were both craving anything chocolate, cakey, fattening, caloric, bad for you, evil.
I walked away with 5 different cupcakes nestled in my pink little bakery box. Yes, $17.25 worth of cupcakes sitting in that little pink bakery box: peanut butter and fudge, two chocolate swirlies with butter cream centers, caramel delight, and chocolate with vanilla cheese cake. (No not all for me! Please, I have some restraint!)
After dinner I split them all (except for one) into quarters and my family indulged in the goodness of each.
Enter Monday lunch time...home from a good walk/run and then a carb-light lunch. I was feeling good about myself yet quite set on ruining it by chasing it all down with the lone cupcake that was beckoning from the fridge. A little smooshed by travel but alas, ever so tempting. Because if I've never shared this before, I'm telling you now, I can never say no to cold, (yes cold is the X factor here) chocolate cake. Dense, moist, bitter sweet, cold, chocolate cake. And this one had been marinating in the fridge for 36 hours. It was simply a matter of time. 
But calories eaten while doing a blog post don't count right? 


BTW, the best chocolate cake ever was from a now defunct restaurant in downtown San Jose called Blakes. A mile high cake made with bitter sweet batter, with a tinge of saltiness to it. They served it, yes cold, in a fat wedge on a plain white plate. Impossible to eat it all at once so you brought it home and ate the rest the next day. Does anyone remember Blakes? I've never had a slice like it since. 

4 comments:

Santa Monica Bred said...

haha..yes, the cold factor does make cakes irresistible. How 'bout cold carrot cake with cream cheese frosting?!

Lorraine Akemann said...

I want to eat the photograph, but my computer screen keeps getting in the way. Just tweeted about your blog, I love it so much.

Anonymous said...

Oh the shame of my tastebuds! I didn't realize how lame they were! :)

I'm so glad I found your blog! I am officially putting it on my daily checks. So happy to know about it. I too am doing a photo a day but not documenting it on my blog. I'm documenting it in a project called Project 365. Have you heard about it? It's been a lot of fun but I must say, I'm a little disappointed in some of my photography...sometimes I just rush through to get a picture and I don't really think about it. I'm sure you will give me new inspiration! You're photos are GREAT.

Jackie said...

Blakes is the name of a restaurant still in downtown San Jose- I wonder if it is the same one to which you are referring?

I'd like to second undonegirl, I just love reading your blog. You write so well. Undonegirl, I too am doing the 365 project (inspired by Tracey) but my pics are no where near as good as hers..

Oh, and I second your post on chocolate- in any way, shape or form, so long as it is as dark and strong as possible!