Monday, December 21, 2009

Welcome Winter



Today is the first day of Winter. I briefly stepped out side (taking a break from making chocolate peanut butter balls--my family's fave holiday treat) to use my camera and was met with barren trees, dead grass, and withering life, not a traveling snail or wayward bird in sight. The rain quietly dusted the world around me. I love stepping out into the silence.

As I gazed up into the trees, once full of life and color, I wondered what was needed to help those fragile leaves in letting go. A gusty breeze? A wintery storm? A good shake?

Because often in my own winter I feel the need to hang on to something that once gave me "life." Until a storm comes along and loosens my grip.

It takes a winter to remind me that my life is about seasons. And each is essential for growth. In my winters I discover that letting go gives me a better grip. I just have to let go to discover the truth of it.

No comments: