Thursday, May 27, 2010

a lesson from a Ranunculus


If I may be a little honest...it's been a draining week. Emotional. The kind of week where tears are at the surface and I find myself unable to settle. I hesitated writing this but I can't post happy and funny. Not today.

The Ranunculus is one of my most favorite flowers, especially in bunches. This snapshot is of a bouquet that was given to my dear friend when she received the heart sickening news that her mother (also a dear friend) was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. I took this picture over a month ago during a visit and it has sat in a file waiting for me to give it the proper attention.

So here I am today posting it because I believe God has used it to remind me of something...
that though my circumstances at present are draining, they have not brought me to face to face with the reality that my life is near its end. My circumstances, though painful, are not "stage 4".

Perspective: a term I use not to invalidate the struggle of my personal reality, but to weigh it on the life scale and find it slightly off balance in comparison to the more weightier of possible life problems...such as facing terminal lung cancer, or loosing an unborn child, or waking to the news that your husband has been in a fatal airplane crash (all of which have happened to personal friends over the last year). I am alive. My kids are safe in bed. There is food in my pantry and gas in my car. I have a loving family,  an amazing husband, and a God that loves me.

Thank you Ranunculus for reminding me of this.


8 comments:

jodie said...

so true. sometimes we forget the strengths we have to make it through the struggles. (one being the bravery to talk about them) wishing you peace...

stacey said...

Yes....perspective. Thank you so much for this reminder.

I'm so sorry you're having a tough week. Praying for you as I write this.

Hillary C said...

I'm sorry about your friend. xo

Tami said...

I was given perspective today also. A family coming to register their older children at our school had their pre-schooler with them whose jaw was so over-sized (reminded me of the boy in that movie "Mask" with Cher), that she could only grunt. Her parents were so calm and gracious, speaking to her in sign language. It certainly made my "trials" seem insignificant. Thanks for this post.

Anonymous said...

I feel a little odd writing this since I don't know you and never comment on blogs...I mean, never. But, I feel moved today to do so. I've been following your blog almost since its inception. First, because I have a little girl and my husband takes great pictures and I really wanted him to get ideas from your blog. Second, because I was very moved by the authentic Christianity you portray through your blog. I wrestle a lot with how to raise my toddler as a child of God and you seem to have a good grasp on that and I admire it a lot.

Today, my day was filled with a chaotic work place as part of my work was criticized on national television. I also received news that a dear friend's wife who thought she had beat breast cancer is now extremely sick with thyroid cancer. Another friend just today learned that their infant daughter who died at 4 months was buried in a plot that another family had bought and so her little coffin must be dug up and re-buried. And, another friend just today told me that she received notice last night that her home is going into foreclosure and being auctioned in August.

I marveled at the unfolding of all these events before my very eyes. Last night, I knew my day would be chaotic doing damage control at work, but I never knew it would involve hurting with so many dear friends...today of all days. And, yet, I know God is right here with me. I woke up singing the song, "Tomorrow morning if you wake up and the sun does not appear. I will be here." I couldn't help but think that even if the sun isn't shining or this world seems so dark, I can be a light for the Son in this very dark world. And, I think you strive to be that, too. I'm so sorry to hear about your friend's mom and the painful news that she and all those who love her are grappling with. And, yet, we have a good and mighty God who sends us beautiful things, like flowers, to remind us of his love, his beauty, and his magnificent presence. So, I guess I really want to thank you for your posts. I have been so blessed this year. I look forward every day to the blessing I'm going to receive from you and I have been truly blessed. And, should you have any words of wisdom or good books to rely upon for Christian discipline, I would greatly appreciate your suggestions. Thank you!

Christie Brown said...

Tracey - I had to read what you were talking about!

To Anonymous:

What very, very nice things you wrote. I'm so sorry to hear about your day... :(

Tracey is a beautifully talented photographer, and indeed a good, soulful person inside and out. She inspires a lot people around her.

Nice little positive blog, huh? :)

Lisa Page Rosenberg said...

Thank you for this.
This week has seemed packed with much sad/challenging/difficult news for so many people I know.
Prayers for all of us. May we gracefully move to the next place, wherever that is.

ELK said...

although i am just reading about the struggles of the week .. i wanted to pass on my hope that it has gotten better...flowers work wonders in that regaard~elk