Wednesday, May 12, 2010

five seconds

We met downtown for a little family photo shoot. My desire was to just be with them, kind of like another member of the family, and capture their time together. They brought a picnic dinner and we sat at one of the street cafe tables. Their little ones (three and 15mos) were up and down, exploring the street, checking out the passing cars.  Capturing any cute couple time was a challenge as all of us were keeping an eye on the kids, jumping up to grab one before he stepped into the street, etc.

 So I call this photo "5 Seconds". 



Five seconds of togetherness. 
Looks amazingly peaceful to be the parents of two small ones, does it not? But seriously, this family was so lovely and warm, and willing to just "be" with me the photographer. Such a treat for me to shoot the way I love to shoot, capturing the life as it happens. Look how sweet they are plopped down on the step of the coffee shop back door! The picture of them above is truly a wonderful representation of who they are...even with the kids running in two separate directions.

And here is another five seconds...


I am often complaining to my hubby that we don't get away together enough, that our date nights are lacking in frequency, we aren't together enough. While that may be true (in my book) I caught a small lesson while being with this couple: that most of our togetherness is caught in a lifetime of a "five seconds". 

Standing at the stove cooking dinner and grabbing a welcome home kiss.
Holding hands while walking through a park with your kids.
Sitting next to each other in a movie theater, flanked by your children.
Grabbing a quiet moment in the car while your children are in the back seat napping.
Touching feet under the table while your family is stuffed into a restaurant booth.
Checking in on the phone during the day.
Stealing a kiss at the cafe table while your children run off in a million different directions.

Isn't this more representative of our lives together? Sure the bigger more extended moments with our significant others are important, but it is the collection of "five seconds" that weave the truer picture of what our togetherness is all about. And oh how I take them for granted, apply lesser significance to their value and importance.

If we all just sat down and counted all the "five seconds" we have had with our partner, our child, our loved ones, we would discover a life time of togetherness has been given to us.  And perhaps we would finally feel content in what we have. I am so thankful that in the capturing of their "five seconds" I could capture this lesson for myself. I needed it.



p.s. There were so many more "five seconds" to share, but I will save them for a later time.

4 comments:

Tami said...

Great reminder (and photos), Tracey.

Eva said...

I needed this today. Thank you.

Roy Hovey said...

Beautifully said Tracey. Love this posting -- but then I love em all. I enjoyed a five minute look in on your shooting for this one. You rock.

Roy

Jen said...

Loved this! So hard to remember in the daily rush, but I'll be trying to cherish those "5 seconds", thanks.