Monday, June 21, 2010

get busy living


I followed the voices down the hallway into the back bedroom and found them in bed reading together. I stepped through the doorway and was immediately halted by the scene before me--the light, the moment, the tenderness. My heart literally thudded in my chest. I ran out to the car and grabbed my camera wildly fiddling with the settings on my way back down the hallway, praying I would land somewhere on the dials that would give me what I needed. I flew in and was given seconds to snap four shots. I shot up an arrow prayer begging for at least one to turn out ok.

Oh God, this moment is too precious to lose.

She is one of my dearest friend's mother and I have known her for as long as my son has been alive: ten years. A few short months ago we were faced with the news that she was diagnosed with some serious stage 4 lung cancer. All of our hearts sank. She, however, received the news with bravery, resolve born out of faith.


Cha Cha, as her grand kids lovingly call her,  is a beautiful testimony of love and grace and redemption. I will let her choose to tell you the details, but let me just say, that if she were to write a book of her life I am positive that you would be glued to her every word. Having already been saved once, twice before, her story would give you hope that no life is beyond lost.  No life is too far gone to be completely wasted.

There is a God.

So there she sat, cuddled with one of her many grandchildren, doing what you do when you know in your heart and soul what is truly most important on this side of life:

being with those you love.

I am beyond grateful for capturing this moment not only for her and her grandson, but for myself. It will go down in history as the one photo that will continue to haunt me with the lesson it portrays...

We are only given this moment we stand in, one breath at a time.
So get busy loving those around you.

Welcome to Monday.
Your next breath is a gift, and the one after.
Praying you make use of them to go love the ones your with.
xoxo

7 comments:

stacey said...

Amen. Praying for your friend.

Beautiful photo, one that will surely be cherished.

Rusty said...

Got me crying this morning, Trace. Thanks for capturing the most beautiful moment.

Virginia Huffman said...

beautiful....all of your words, the thoughts and the beautiful moment captured in time...tears are streaming....love, V

Anonymous said...

Beautiful touching words and photo, Tracey. I was moved to tears. Thank you for sharing your gift with us.

Stacie said...

thanks, tracey, for sharing this sweet moment and story! i am great at getting busy - too busy, too overwhelmed by small things that seem very important. But then I miss out on what is VERY IMPORTANT! I will apologize to my beauties when they awake from their naps and "get busy loving". Not just busy.

Nicole Hoefer said...

beautiful. just beautiful.

Eva said...

A treasure. This is my favorite kind of photography. When you capture a moment in time. (I thought I had commented on this but perhaps I had not.)