Tuesday, September 21, 2010

sentimental for those tiny toes



Oh my gosh. What is my problem? Why am I so goo-goo over babies right now? I sat at the dinner table last night and told my kids that I missed nursing them. Missed their soft heads, holding their little feet in my hands, feeling their leggy "chub chubs" (well, mainly Bean's, cause Zach was a twig) and watching them look up at me that sweet sweet smile. I missed their compact little bodies fitting perfectly in my arms while they nursed their bellies full.

Yeah. My eleven year old looked at me mid-dinner bite and then looked away like he didn't really know what to do with that piece of information. I promised him I wouldn't be bringing that up in front of any of his friends.

Today is the eve of Bean's birthday and so I am suddenly sappy and sentimental and unable to move into tomorrow's reality: I will have an eleven and an eight year old. They are growing too fast, no longer sitting with me in the rocker, nursing, falling asleep in my arms.

It is the passage of time flying past me with ever increasing speed that causes my heart to sap and weep with the loss of yesterday...and yesterday's yesterday.

Some one please come and wipe me up off the floor.

I am weepy for those tiny ten toes.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

just went through a bunch of your posts! Your pictures are stunning! Now I am following! :)