Wednesday, September 22, 2010

My Bean is eight

Do you remember this picture I posted a couple of weeks ago? 


I promised to myself that I would get back there, in that golden light, with my camera and perhaps a willing subject. Monday night I looked at Bean across the dinner table and as we were counting down the days to her birthday I suddenly had this huge need to take her back to that beautiful place and to capture her on the eve of her eighth birthday. We raced over there and explored for an hour while the sun bathed everything with its golden light. I came home and put this little slide show together to document our time together, and my Bean as she drew near to her special day. I thought the slide show went better with some music, so I picked Bean's favorite singer, Colbie Caillet and her favorite song, "Bubbly". I thought it was an appropriate match. :)

Enjoy...


Bean's birthday photo shoot from Tracey Morris on Vimeo.


Shortly after 5am on September 22nd, 2002, after only four hours of labor, I pushed through four contractions and out came my tiny daughter, wide eyed and ready for the world. She was transferred  into my arms and I felt an instantaneous affection for her. As I held her in her during her first few hours of sleep I watched a smile spread over her face.  Whether it was the product of some baby dream, touch of an angel, or perhaps just some really good baby gas, it took me by surprise. Two weeks later as I cuddled her in my lap,  she smiled at me again, this time with her eyes wide open, fully aware of my face. Again, I was shocked that such a smile came from only a two week old! I see now that my Bean was born into this world with a joyful disposition, a sensitive heart, and an engaging spirit.

She was the most bubbly, smiley baby ever.

I like to tell her that she smiled at doorknobs, lint on the floor, bath toys, cherrios. If you caught her eye as you passed through the room she would beam back at you. She was always fully engaged, eager to connect with whomever would give her attention. As she grew into a toddler that smiley personality turned into a comical one. She loved to make us laugh, had the funniest sense of humor, and loved a good knee slapping moment.

I would say:

You're such a fruit!

You're such a fruity!

You're such a funny bean.

You're such a funny mcfruity bean.

McFruity Bean...and then Bean, for short. It stuck. It encapsulated everything about her.

And now it's:

Hey Bean, will you grab me my book?

Hey McBean, it's time for your bath.
 
Hey le Bean, how was school?

Hey le smoochy Bean, how 'bout a smooch?

Beanly, where did you put my tape?

Bean! So glad you are home!

So today my Bean turns eight. As I kissed her good night last night she said to me, Mom, I am sad to leave seven.

Oh my sweet Bean, I am sad too. But so happy for you, for this day, for your eighth year of life to begin today. I know I always tell you that you are not allowed to grow any bigger, but that is just my way of trying not to let go of your littleness. The truth is, that if I had your smaller self back I would grieve the loss of who you are today. I have enjoyed every year of your life. Enjoyed watching you grow up into the special, unique, person that you are.

I love that you still cuddle with me, on the couch, in bed, on my lap at church.
I love that you still hold my hand.
I love that you are expressive, unusually articulate with your emotions and feelings.
I love that you find life funny.
I love that you love school, love your teachers, love your friends.
I love that you are social, yet shy in new situations.
I love that you are keenly observant, notice when I change my earrings or get my hair cut, put make up on.
I love that you have a memory like a steel trap.
I love that you are full of imaginations, creative ideas.
I love that you play with your dolls, play teacher to your line up of stuffed animals.
I love that you sing a little off key.
I love that you insisted on wearing those crazy purple ankle boots on the first day of school.
I love that you always give me smooches when I ask for them.

I especially love that you are so demonstrative with your love towards me and those closest to you.

You are a beyond anything I could have every dreamed of when I imagined having a little girl.

And out of all of the eight year old children in this world, I would immediately, without skipping a beat, race to you and grab you out of the line and hold you to myself. I cannot imagine my world without you in it.

Happy Birthday my Bean.
I love you with all the love my mama heart can possibly hold, and then some.

Mama
xoxo

7 comments:

Skeller said...

oh my. this is the sweetest post ever. You and Bean - you're blessed to have each other!!! I adore her bday pictures - so full of joy and exuberance and soulful-ness and amazing glowy light...

stacey said...

Oh my is right.

You had me all teary eyed with the photos and then I read all of your words!

What a sweet and precious gift. Enjoy your Bean today! And wish her a Happy Birthday for me!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!

And gorgeous location and images! :)

Unknown said...

That was beautiful .... without a doubt 8)


Happy birthday .. hope it is a special and wonderful 8th bday

Tami said...

A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. slide show AND post.

Melissa said...

so very sweet! videos always make me cry... but in a good way:)

Liza B. Gonzalez said...

I love that you posted this...That is the sweetest tribute to your little girl. I hate that my little lucy is growing, too. Beautiful work!