Tuesday, April 26, 2011

freckles and eyelashes

Photos I took a long time ago and never shared, but recently found while cleaning out photo files...


Every time I look at this photo I pause to wonder (and envy) over those freckles and eye lashes. To me, the uniqueness of how we are made, the attention to detail, the one-of-a-kindness we all possess is a testimony to the creative genius of God.

I just want to put my arms on her shoulders (like her mother does), look her in the eyes, and plant these words upon her heart:

You are so beautifully unique! 
There is no one like you. 
You are crazy cool, here for a reason, endowed with purposeful gifts.
And do not let anybody ever disrespect that truth about you. 
You hear me?!
You are worthy of love.


Makes me wonder what would happen if we spoke those words more often to the children around us? What kind of generation would we raise up to take our place?


A crazy cool, gifted, purposeful generation of adults who believe in their unique place in this world--who would not have to waste their adult life compensating for what we did not give to them. 

That's what kind of generation we would raise up.

Amen.

(Ok, getting off my soap box. Off to clean out more photo files.) 


6 comments:

Jamie said...

I /love/ this post. <3

Amanda said...

Totally love this post...so much truth in this. Photos are beautiful - those freckles are amazing!

stacey said...

Amen!

Krista Lund said...

amen sister!
your photos are beautiful as always!!

Heather M. said...

I love your words so very much. And those photos are amazing. She is beautiful. I want my kids to know and believe how beautiful and amazing and how loved they are. I wonder the same thing as you do if children heard those words and truly believed them what a difference it would make.

Andrea said...

Amen, indeed! And your words even spoke to this almost 38 year old kid. Thank you.