Monday, April 25, 2011

patience, taking turns, and the whole love thing


While she was on the hammock, he was waiting patiently for his turn. (He is such a gentleman.) They even made a little game of it to make the time pass more swiftly. Life is so much more enjoyable when we take turns, share, and wait patiently, right? I mean this is what we teach our children, though it is much harder to practice in real life.


Because as adults we think it is easier to insist on sharing a stupid toy or hammock because we think those things are so small and inconsequential. Yet as adults we forget to enter their childlike brains, the brains that place a high value on toys, ownership, and going first. Instead, we insist on them behaving with the emotional maturity of an adult. But when they do we are pleasantly surprised and humbled by their example.


Our words come floating back to us when we find ourselves having to share our freeway lane, our front row parking spot, our place in line, our dessert. Or when we are struggling to wait for our turn to speak, make our point, defend our rights, exist in the same space with someone who believes differently than we do.

I know not every situation is as easy as taking turns on a hammock. But maybe we would experience living a with a bit more joy if we could practice like it was?


Hmmmm...I shoulda mentioned this to the guy who drove by our car real slow on Easter morning and flipped us off when we accidentally got in his way. Actually, he flipped off my kids in the back seat, looked my son in the eyes and uttered some curse words all while giving him the bird. I was a little glad he was not going into the church parking lot because that would have been slightly awkward. Happy Easter!

Anyways, it was a good talking point with our kids. How some people are so consumed with selfishness that it breeds anger and hate, which breeds more selfishness. I think that guy needed a hammock moment, or some love, or maybe some grace.

See how rewarding it is when you practice leaning into the practice of patience? When you let go of needing to be first? When sharing is love? When extending grace is more of a sweet drink for your own soul than it is for the receiver...


I know I am going to be eating these words this week while my kids are home on spring break. I will let ya'll know how it went come Sunday. :)

2 comments:

Tami said...

Aahhh ... these photos make me wish I had a hammock ... and patience.

Heather M. said...

i love that your posts always make me think. and i adore those photos of your two.