Thursday, May 19, 2011

linked: hair

So my blog linking partner, Michelle, made the decision this week to link up with a post that would feature hair. Hair.
The funny thing about this, and she doesn't know it, is that just days before she threw out that theme I had just taken a bunch of photos of Bean doing her own version of a Vidal Sassoon commercial. I was actually attempting to practice nailing a focus point when my aperture is wide open (which is hard at an fstop of 1.2) and so I asked her to give me a little motion. She gave me her Vidal hair flips and swishes.

The following photos are what I captured, wide open at 1.2, in full motion, in focus...and not.
I love all of them.














I realize that I may have dated myself by referencing a Vidal Sassoon commercial. I am a child of the 80's people. I was raised on Vidal Sasson commercials. A trip to YouTube will showcase several of the many commercials I grew up watching. Click here, for one of my favorites.  Wait for the last few seconds of the clip and watch the sassy flip. We used to practice that in the mirror. I think my Bean has perfected it. What do you think?

I think yes. It also helps that she has enough hair to go around for three other people. She inherited my thick head of hair. The head of hair that I loathed throughout my entire adolescence. The head of hair that the stylist could not even get a comb through on my very first visit. The head of hair that I washed every day and tried to style and would wind up in a frizzy mess. I cried most mornings during my high school years. (High school years were not my best hair years--add to it was the fact that it was the 80's and hair was just not attractive on anyone.) Let's just say that Vidal needed to make a personal visit, one that would have relieved me from most of my adolescent trauma.

But, I am so prepared for Bean's youth and hair issues. I have lived through it all (even a perm!) and I can now say that our hair is best left unwashed for a span of two to three days. We do not need a volume or body boosting shampoo. We do best to wash it at night, or air dry it.  And a good flat iron is our best friend, or a good frizz control oil to make soft waves.

Do they even still sell Vidal Sassoon?

I could go on and on about hair care for thick hair-headed people (not thick-headed people, but thick hair-headed people), but now it is time for you to go and visit Michelle and Stacey, my fun blog linkup partners, and see what hair biz they've styled up.

For Michelle's May 19th hair post, click here.
For Stacey's May 19th hair post, click here.

And if you have any good hair tips, product recommendations, please...don't be shy...inform me. I still need a little help.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is some AWESOME hair swinging! And I completely understand the V.S. references as a fellow child of the 80's. :) Nailing focus on an action shot with a 1.2 is CRAZY! Good job!

Andrea said...

That is some truly amazing focus at 1.2! Amazing, Tracey! I remember those commercials. I always wanted that thick hair. I'll send you an email with some product ideas.:-) a.

stacey said...

Ahhhh yes..... If you don't look good, we don't look good.

Um....I need some pointers b/c these are incredible hair swinging shots at 1.2. (seriously? 1.2??) SO fun and so great, Trace.

Danica said...

Awwww yeah vidal sassoon :) I remember :)

Heather M. said...

oh wow, these photos are awesome. love her gorgeous hair and how she's working it for you. :)

awesome job on the focus too. how's the lens?

Naomi said...

these are some rockin' awesome hair shots! :). love the last one, so cute!

Skeller said...

two thoughts:

1. WHERE WERE flat-irons in our teenage years??? I really REALLY could have used one.

2. I'm amazed *how much* you got in focus at 1.2 that CLOSE to Bean. 1.2 is razor thin at close range. Hats off to you!!!