Monday, February 2, 2009

Lesson


I have discovered a new place to go run and walk: a beautiful two mile loop out at the base of the hills where the oaks grow and the cows pasture. There is a trail head too but since I am often alone I stick to the loop where it is paved and I am not so remote.
I brought my camera with me since it is a very picture worthy place but alas I was there at the late morning hour and the sun was bright, the sky was bald--a kind of mediocre situation to shoot in.
But since I am on this new challenge to use my camera everyday I dutifully took it out after my run and went to explore. The first shot was a ho-hum one. I really don't like struggling with the bright sun, exposure issues and green grass. (Can I say once more how I really do not like having to capture realistic green grass?)
So I zeroed in. Shot number two. Rusted barbed wire on an ancient fence post. I thought, more interesting right?
As I stood there focusing on this has-been of a fence with its posts and cross bars crumbling, being eaten by bug and worm, I marveled at the tenacity of that barbed wire to hold its strength for something so not worthy of it. Holding its grip on a once well-planned, constructed sturdy fence that served some purpose, one day, somewhere in the long ago. Oh when to let go?

1 comment:

Steve said...

The vertical lines and the mossy texture of the post are great!