Thursday, February 19, 2009

Shaver Lake...The first 48 hours...






Last Sunday we left our rainy puddle of a home town and headed south east towards Shaver Lake.  A half hour into our journey we stopped using our windshield wipers and realized we had sped out of the storm, the black clouds in our review mirrors. Heading up to Shaver Lake was a breeze and we arrived dry and safe around dinner time. A few hours later the storm caught up to us and we were visited by 48 hours of straight snow. Dense, down-feathered, whispy, heavy snow. Visibility almost zero. I think it dumped like 8 feet. I'm serious. It was some major snow.

Those 48 hours went something like this:
Eat
Play video games
Eat
Watch High School Musical 2
Eat
Read
Eat
Watch High School Musical 2
Eat

For a few moments that it "lightened" up the kids headed outside. The husbands attempted some snow removal but it was useless. (That's a picture of Scott clearing the pathway to the hot tub. Ha!) After that 48 hours EVERYTHING was completely hidden by snow: our car, that hot tub.

So you can imagine my challenge to take pictures. I had to resort to shooting through the windows to capture the scene of my kids outside...there was no way I could take my camera out there. The only other option was to follow the kids around inside. For 48 hours little Brandon was my muse. I snapped him watching tv, making goofy faces, watching tv, making goofy faces. Oh and then eating root beer/snow floats. Hey when you are cooped up inside, you gotta get creative. 

Tomorrow I'll post pictures from the second 48 hours. I think you'll be amazed, as I was, at how nature could be so fierce one moment and gloriously beautiful the next. 

For now I am off to bed to catch up on lost sleep. Need a vacation from vacation...

No comments: