Sunday, March 15, 2009

Spring




Over the weekend I took a trip with my kids (hubby was out of town) to visit an old friend up at her place in Coarsegold. These are her twin daughters Corrissa and Cambria.  (Aren't they sweeties?)
As we began our ascent into the Oak spotted hills of Coarsegold, we were met with the most beautiful display of spring wild flowers. They literally carpeted the grassy hills and collected under the Oak trees: Lupin and Snowbells and others I did not know the names to. When we arrived at Jennifer's place, her two acres were covered with them and the girls immediately began to gather, collect, sweep them up in big over-flowing bunches. 
Since being back home I have seriously been going through withdrawals.  (I even went out in the morning as the sun was rising to catch them opening up to the morning light--how peaceful and soul soothing was that?) Where in Morgan Hill is such a display? Please somebody point me in the right direction!
Here is why I love them so much...because they are tiny and wild, and simple, each shining for their moment, giving way for the next. They are a sign that life is indeed still beating under all that fading winter grey. They grow in harmony with the other green life around them, sweeping down and across the ground where the soil is just right and the bees can find them.  Geez, I need to move to Coarsegold.
Anyway, too many pictures of them to post here. But the second two I posted because I did not know the names of them. If any of you happen to know, please let me know...


Two odd tid bits:
My kids got a kick when I told them that they were distantly related to their friends, Corrissa, Cambria, and Noah.  They share the same great great great grandparents. It's all German Mennonite blood--if you ever step into a Mennonite church you are related somehow to most everyone there. (I attended one in high school--hence where I met Jennifer.) So, Zach said to me at lunch today, "So Noah and I share a pinch of the same blood?" Yes Zach, a pinch. How cool is that?

For the most amazing random display of wildflowers exit 152 east onto 99 south and before you get to Madera you'll suddenly be met with the most vivid carpet of wildflowers (orange, white, yellow, magenta, pink) in the center divide of the highway. Absolutely impossible to stop and take pictures when you are speeding past at 75 mph. Even Zach was impressed. Crazy crazy colors. We wondered if they had been planted? It was too good.

1 comment:

Lorraine Akemann said...

Stunned by your photos, as always. I can feel spring right through the desktop!