Friday, July 31, 2009

Just a shadow of its former glory...

We took the kids to the county fair tonight, mainly because I have been thinking about those authentic corn dogs they sell (not the soggy ones you get from the freezer section) and because it's summer and that is what you do in the summer--you go to the fair. I went to the fair as a kid with my family and then as a teenager. It was a grand fair, with the two headed animals, bearded lady, hypnotists, parades, cat/dog/quilt shows, 4-H animals, live bands, venders on the streets selling the "Chop-o-matics", toe rings, train sets, balloons. Oh and all the food food food and rides...need I go on?  
But I had heard that the fair was nothing like it used to be. I kind of surmised that it might be true when I went online and discovered that there was free entry and free parking. (Hmm...anything to get people to come?) We parked out in the dirt parking lot and walked right in and realized we were four people out of hundred visitors there. I felt like I was at a school carnival. It was like a ghost town...a mere shadow of its former glory. 

No lines at the ticket booths.


She was the only one riding the swings.


Thank you God...they still had the corn dogs.


And the silly, expensive games...


at which you could win random prizes.


Of course you can never get rid of the cotton candy.


Or the 4-H animals. This is a prize winning cow. 
Meet Osos and his owner. Sweet cow. 
His days are numbered. Next week he's being sold to a slaughter house.
(I will never look at a hamburger the same again. Could be Osos.)


The pigs were still there. Getting their beauty rest.
Hey, it's how you spend your last days at the fair.


And yes, the goats were there. Meet Cinnamon, the ribbon-winning dairy goat. 
Here she's waiting to be milked. It keeps her utter producing milk so that when she's being shown in front of the judges she's "plump". 
(You learn something new every day.)


Yes, a shadow of its former glory, fading away. Made me sad to think of the history that has gone with it, only memories, like lost snapshots, left to remind us of what it once was. My kids loved going and it was nice to have a quiet evening, but I think I would have rather taken them back in time to walk the fair in all of its sights, sounds, smells, and craziness that it was. 



p.s. Can't stop thinking about Osos. Can one rescue a cow?


4 comments:

A said...

These photos go perfectly with your words! I absolutely love the feel of them. The fair is going on right now in my hometown. I'm not going (being states away) but this post makes me wonder how it is the same or changed since I've been, since I went when I was younger.

By the way, I really LOVE the 1st photo and the 2nd to Last photo!! These are excellent. Are they done with an actual ttv camera or is it a texture you put over the photos you took?

Lorraine Akemann said...

Agreed, I love the first photo especially. How did you trick these up? Awesome.

Debbie said...

T-- The Santa Cruz County Fair in Watsonville is not to be missed. You will find what you are looking for there -- it's in September.

Umā said...

These are beautiful! I'm hoping to head to our local fair this weekend and take lots of photos. I think fairs are some of the most fun places to shoot...