Saturday, January 9, 2010

Sometimes the most beautiful things are caught when you're not aiming for perfection

When I set out with the girls last week to do my daily photo I did something that I often do especially when taking pictures of kids...shoot from the hip. It is one of my favorite ways to capture them because it so often results in pictures that capture the heart of a moment--which is my most favorite type of photography. Not one of these shots was captured with me looking through my view finder, and yet look how beautifully the camera caught the light on their faces and the swing in their hair. Next time you pick up your camera, let it dangle from the strap around your neck or hold the camera at your hip and just aim at your subject and shoot. Over this past year I have gotten better at this, and the results always make me smile.

The pictures below? A conversation over whether fairies really exist...

According to Gracie: Fairies are not real...except for the Tooth Fairy. AND Santa is definitely real, so are his elves, and mermaids. But not fairies.

According to Michaela: Fairies are real. She pretends Santa does exist, but the snow bunnies that leave her Christmas gifts are real. And yes, mermaids are real too because they write back to her when she leaves them sand notes at the beach.

Bet you're thankful for the clarification aren't you?

(I think Michaela feels a bit left out of the Tooth Fairy thing--mainly because the Tooth Fairy that visits our house is a bit forgetful and often comes days late.)

1 comment:

Lisa Page Rosenberg said...

Gorgeous. They look like movie stills.