Thursday, April 29, 2010

His day



He puts the kids to bed most nights, says prayers, gives back rubs, and then smooches.

He makes breakfast every morning for them while I sleep. Puts a pillow over my head when he comes into take a shower.

He takes the kids to school, working with Bean to get her through her morning without a meltdown.

He is the designated school field trip chaperone and rarely misses one.

He fixes the neighborhood kids' bikes and scooters, plays street hockey with them.

He is known to wash many a dirty dish, run the dishwasher.

He loves his birthday. Loves the tradition of a junk cereal on your birthday. Reese's Puffs. Yum!

He coaches flag football and looks every kid in the eye and tells them what a great job they've done.

He is the newly knighted Boy Scout chaplain for troop 730.

His guy friends know that he will give them a bear hug.

He is incredibly wise. Deeply intuitive. 

He stands in the tide with his kids, jumps the waves, digs swimming pool sized holes in the sand.

He was the one to suggest we get a kitten for the Bean.

He drives a total beater of a car and never complains.

He tends to the "Honey Do" list and rarely grumbles. 

He loves to think in the realm of possibilities and create something new.

He builds pinewood derby cars, train stations, roller coasters, anything with the Kid.

He puts the clean sheets on the bed.

He loves his family.

He has read through almost every Calvin and Hobbes with the kids. Laughs the hardest.

He is the master at giving nicknames. (Just warning you.)

He is an amazing teacher, communicator. People listen to him. He's funny too, so that helps.

He rises every Saturday to make "pampakes". Cleans every dish afterward. 

He has many friends, and many love him. 

He conditions and combs Bean's hair so the post shower comb through is tear-free.

He is a fierce napper. 

He "takes care of" the unwelcome spiders that find their way inside.

He makes sure each of our kids get special one-on-one time.

He mediates arguments over who gets to spend time with him after dinner.

He plays "horsey" with Bean even though I know it kills his knees.

He will break out the special bottle of wine that he has been saving if you happen to come over for dinner.

He will never turn down a dinner invite and a bottle of your wine if you so happen to call.

He will wear the left over goofy orange ski goggles...and wear them proudly.

He is the father to the neighborhood's fatherless, makes them Saturday grilled cheeses, teaches them how to get along.

He is the French Roast coffee bean's most loyal follower.

He is friends with every coffee shop barista within a 20 mile radius.

He never breaks a confidence.

He loves God, is a praying man.

He is the only adult in our family who will willingly buy tv dinners when he is on dinner duty.

He will watch Bolt for the 10 millionth time with Bean because it's one of her favorite things to do with him.

He will take your money in Monopoly and never apologize, not even if you are seven years old.

He loves a good beer, with a good friend, in front of a good hockey game.

He will charm you with his wit.

He was known as Bean's personal "Daddy Tram" for three days in Disneyland. God bless him.

He talks to his kids. He looks them in the eyes. Teaches them to do the same.

He listens to me. He never invalidates, puts me down, condescends, shames, or bickers.

He worries about not being the father that he wants to be and I stare at him in disbelief. I shake my head and interrupt and refuse to let him go on any further. I refuse to let him lie on his death bed and say, "I wish I were a better father, better husband." I will not listen.

For I am truly humbled by his example.

I know he is not perfect. I have lived with him for fourteen years and I know. We have our conflicts, our never ending issues. He has his impatient moments with the kids and is known to have to apologize to them.  But, he says, "I was wrong, will you forgive me?"

I cannot say it enough, shout it enough, that he is an amazing father and husband. Today is his birthday and I the least I can do is grab this chance to shout it to the world.  I would choose no other because no other would do. No other would compare. Flaws and all, I have the best husband. I really do. I am a blessed woman.

I love you Pal.

Happy Birthday from me.

xoxo



p.s. This is the 2nd annual bday close-up. Another thing to boast about....this man patiently sits for his birthday photo...the only one in the family to do so for me. (Thank you for humoring me Pal.)

4 comments:

*Bri* said...

This is great and he's a great guy. Happy Birthday from us to him!

Scott said...

Honored by my bride on my birthday: There is no greater gift. None.

I love you, champ...and thank you.

Juliette said...

Awww - yay! Happy Birthday Mo!

Tami said...

What a wonderful tribute to your man. Makes me wish I knew him. (But don't worry, even if I get the chance to meet him, I will NOT be his Facebook friend.)