Thursday, August 26, 2010

cause and effect


He loves this place almost as much as he loves Ranch dressing. (Telling, I know.)
This place affects him in a way that is familiar to me.
I completely empathize with him and smile when he tries to explain it to me.
I know, I know son... I bring you here because I love this place just as much as you do.
This night we came down to have dinner along the shore and then touch our toes into the water.


As I watched him wade through the shallows I noticed him enraptured with this...


I have vivid memories of standing at the pond at my grandparents mobile home park and throwing pebbles in to the water, watching the rings ripple out in silence 'till they reached my feet on the shore.
It is the simple law of cause and effect drawn for us on the surface of the water.

Oh if we could all fully see the effect of our words, actions, choices in such a blatant way...
...To know that where ever we go our lives are forever touching, affecting, the world around us in ever expanding concentric circles. It is the greatest lesson we can teach our children: 
who we are, what we do, and where we go, matters.

3 comments:

Marlene Fales said...

so well Put and such beautiful photography

Mockabee Seven said...

Oh my goodness, Tracey, he's getting so "teen". Crazy. Miss you too. :-)

Unknown said...

Do you know this one. I've used it often over the years with students.

The Ripple Effect
(author unknown to me)

Do you want to be a positive influence in the world?

First, get your own life in order. Ground yourself in the single principle so that your behavior is wholesome and effective. If you do that, you will earn respect and be a powerful influence.

Your behavior influences others through a ripple effect. A ripple effect works because everyone influences everyone else. Powerful people are powerful influences.

If your life works, you influence your family. If your family works, your family influences the community.

If your community works, your community influences the nation. If your nation works, your nation influences the world. If the world works, the ripple effect spreads throughout the cosmos.

Remember that your influence begins with you and ripples outward. So be sure that your influence is both potent and wholesome.

How do I know that this works? All growth spreads outward from a fertile and potent nucleus.

You are a nucleus.