Tuesday, August 24, 2010

the kingdom of Boys


These are not my son's toes. They belong to another of the same species and yet as I look at them I wonder if he too...

loves a good dirt mound or sand pit
shuns shower time (and then when he does shower, stays in there for hours)
hates it when I remind him to brush his teeth
leaves SIX dirty socks on the family room floor in the period of 24 hours
plays with his Dad's tools
follows his Dad around
talks incessantly
pesters his sister, but fiercely protects her if need be
leaves Legos and Nerf darts in his wake
(post edit: forgot to mention that I have even found Legos in the shower.)
is obsessed with Ranch dressing (and Ebay)
would wear the same outfit for five days straight if it were not for his mother in his life
gets a flat tire on his bike almost every other day
comes home sweaty after a playing outdoors
asks a million questions (someone please save me)
bites his fingernails
is probably getting his own shovel and water hose nozzles for his birthday
"makes his bed" by just throwing the comforter up over his pillow
gets more food on the table and floor than in his mouth
refuses a napkin
uses his brand new school t-shirts on which to wipe his greasy food fingers (pulling. my. hair. out.)
eats cherry tomatoes like they're candy
eats candy like it's...candy
owns several flashlights
is one year away from earning his black belt
is growing so fast that his feet are now bigger than mine
has a violent emotional reaction to sunscreen (the spray kind has been a life saver)
loves Dirty Jobs, Deadliest Catch, and Whale Wars (not sure whether I should thank Netflix or not?)
is always right in the middle of where I need to be (it's uncanny)
has every Pokemon and Star Wars character memorized
is impatient to pose for a picture, or stop for anything, well, except maybe for dessert
has memorized the recipe for homemade vanilla ice cream
should own stock in Duracell and Energizer (I can never keep up with our stash)
loves anything that comes with a remote
can build a BBQ better than his dad
wishes he could have his driver's license now
could sleep through a tornado, earthquake and other natural disasters
loves to play defense in football
has learned to create all manner of bodily noises, on cue
collects rocks
listens to hockey games with his dad
privately still lets us hug and kiss him


Moms...am I missing anything??? The kingdom of boys is quite large, its inhabitants are uniquely diverse. Yet there's something about that Y chromosome that links them all together.

Am I right, or am I right?

3 comments:

stacey said...

So this is what I have to look forward to??

Although I can already relate to a few...
*the asking question one. Eli, at age TWO, asks "why" constantly. It's crazy.
*violent reaction to sunscreen. So it may be that he's two, but seriously, you'd think I was severely hurting him while applying.
*of-course the dirt and rocks. I found rocks in his crib the other day.

But we sure do love 'em, don't we?

Marlene Fales said...

You are ABSOLUTELY right and it does not all go away when they are 26! The only thing you might have missed is you could find him after school laying on the back Deck talking to the Dog like he was his best friend ever!

Eva said...

You are right. Those dirty, active, busy little suckers are the best...
I guess one I would add with my two tiny ones:
the stinkiest feet ever....i don't get it but their tiny toes stink!