Tuesday, March 22, 2011

embracing the rain


When the rain refuses to leave, step out and embrace it.

And so I did, with my camera and a friend who happened to have her rain boots. We were spending the weekend at a beach house with a group of talented women artists that meet once a month to encourage and challenge each other. I am the only photographer in the group, the others are all painters. So while they sat near the large windows and worked on their paintings for our approaching art show, I looked for opportunities to be creative through my lens.

I wrapped a plastic baggie around my camera and headed out and captured my friend strolling the shoreline. (She was such a trooper.) I have many more umbrella pictures to share and more from the weekend too, but this one seemed to stand alone.

It spoke to that emotional place in me that is learning to embrace the figurative rain in my life. I am discovering that much beauty can be found when I am willing to step out and walk in it.

Literally, I would have never snapped this picture if I stayed inside. But it makes me wonder what else I am missing by not embracing the rain?

8 comments:

Unknown said...

So true!! One of my favorite pictures of my girls and niece came from a stretch of rainy days. Our backyard was about 6 inches deep, but it was decently warm. Instead of keeping them indoors, my sister and I sent them out in it. Their smiles were priceless...they still look at the rain and ask if they can go play in it.

I Heart Being a Mom! said...

Beautiful Tracey and such a good question to think about. love, kristin

Andrea said...

gorgeous picture! makes me wish I had a beach nearby to walk on in this rain.
after 37.5 years in Washington, I've learned to embrace the rain. :-)

Anonymous said...

Yes. Next time I go to the beach I wanna take an umbrella... not because I don't want to embrace the rain but because it looks so awesome. ;)

Nicole said...

L-O-V-E that photo. And love what you drew from it. Excellent food for thought.

Tami said...

If I had cool furnishings in my house, I would totally want this photo enlarged, matted and framed. Love it.

stacey said...

I LOVE this photo. Love it. Also love your words. You have me thinking a lot lately, Tracey.

As I type this it is sleeting here in MN. Would SO rather have rain.

Katherine Schultz said...

Oh my goodness me. Beautiful. The words - the photograph just awesome.

Hope your day has been lovely!!

K xx