Tuesday, May 10, 2011

off in the distance



You know when you have a big "thing" ahead of you that's gonna take some serious energy and strength to get through and you feel exhausted and spent just thinking about that "thing" before it has even arrived?

Yeah, I feel like that.

I am taking over for Bean's teacher who is leaving on maternity leave this week. For the next three and a half weeks I will be a full-time teacher. I have not done that since the mid 90's folks. That was fifteen years ago when I was high school English teacher. But back then I was a newly married, pre-kid self that could come home to a quiet home and shut down for a few hours before getting up and doing it all over again the next morning.

Bean's class is a great class, their teacher a wonderful, organized, prepared teacher, so I am not worried about any of that stuff.

I am simply an introvert, looking at the vast, hot sandy stretch of beach that is stretched out in front of me, eyeing the horizon of summer.

Three and a half weeks friends. Three and a half weeks of a class room full of kids, end-of-the-school year activities, coming home to mom duties and after school appointments. Summer is a dot on the horizon and I will be focusing my gaze upon her until I meet her with an embrace of relief.

Blogging may be infrequent, just warning you.

Prayers greatly appreciated.



My Picture Inspiration prompt this week was to capture "distance". Last week we were walking this stretch of the California coast line and I meandered ahead of everyone to this open peninsula of sand that jutted out  into the ocean. When I turned around my family and friends were but a dot on the horizon, barely noticeable in the distance. I was in an introvert's paradise, just me and the birds and a little family of seals out a hundred feet in the waves. Glorious.

7 comments:

Heather M. said...

Praying the next few weeks go smoothly for you!

elizabeth said...

thinking of you for the next few weeks - keep that photo on your fridge when you feel like your gonna lose it!!
Love the coast and sand - beautiful

Juliette said...

What, did you write this for me?! I just got an email today asking me to teach several classes at the university again this fall and I said yes -not b/c I really wanted to, but b/c I needed to. Ugh, so not looking forward to it for the same reason: total emotional suckage. I can handle the classes and the students and admin like me, but it really takes so much out of me. I hear you!

Wendy said...

Praying for you! I totally feel ya!

Andrea said...

Sending prayers your way. :)

stacey said...

Three and a half weeks. You can do this!

And I so love that it's for Bean's class. What a great memory for her to have her mom as her teacher for the last few weeks of the school year. Just think about that when it gets long and exhausting. She's probably eating it up. :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh boy! I completely understand the introvert needing "decompress time." I'm praying that everything goes smoothly and that you get the down time you need in the midst of all the busy. Summer is coming! :D