Wednesday, May 25, 2011

one image: letting a photo find you



Lens 24-70 2.8
shutter speed 1/50, f2.8
ISO 400

Sometimes the best photos are caught when you stumble upon them.
Some are best caught when you anticipate them
This one was caught doing both.

I stumbled upon this precious scene--he inside the massive toy box contentedly playing alone. I crouched a few feet away and anticipated him looking up to discover me. I could see the photo in my mind and I smiled when it came to be, ripe with perfect timing.

I have found that my best photos are those that have found me. They are also the ones that I patiently wait for to reveal themselves.

Of course there are many artfully composed photos out there that I admire, but it is the one that is made from real life that I adore the most.

If you are like me, and you like these kinds of photographs, you will find that the best thing we can do to improve our "eye" is to venture out each day and do some stumbling and anticipating. I never cease to be amazed at the photos that find me, almost as if they were waiting just for me.


Photo geeks....I actually took this photo a year and a half ago. I honestly do not know what I was doing with the settings at the time. I believe this was taken on my old camera and so that slow shutter speed was the result of not wanting to bump up my ISO because of the grain I would get in the photo if I did. I am impressed that I got the photo as sharp as I did. Not sure if I knew the rule of thumb: to avoid hand-held camera shake, keep your shutter at a number that is equivalent to the focal length of your lens. So if you are shooting with a 24-70mm lens, then going below 1/70th of a second in your shutter speed is dipping into blurry waters. Oh well, thankful for the shot!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

As you know, I had the same realization about my photos finding me recently. Once you stop fighting it and struggling to find the perfect shot, it always turns up on it's own, doesn't it? Half my problem, okay more like 99% of my problem, is that I'm a control-freak and have a hard time waiting for my photos to find me. ;) I will take your advice and get out there and do some stumbling...
~A

Unknown said...

This picture is all sorts of adorable! I agree with what you have said! My favorite captures are almost never staged out : ) They are just things that happen and I am blessed enough to be able to capture them!

elizabeth said...

you took the words right out of my mouth some of my favorite photos are the ones that "Just Happen"!!! not posed or planned!! So enjoyed this post