Thursday, May 26, 2011

one image: perspective


lens: 50mm 1.2
shutter speed: 1/125
fstop: 3.5
ISO: 200

Most of us are casual photographers, aiming at the life in front of us from the vantage point of where we are standing. We shoot at eye level, capturing the events and milestones unfolding around us from this level because it is quick and easy and most comfortably how we witness them...literally...at eye level. Any trip to a touristy spot will reveal a million people standing around, holding their cameras up to their faces, aiming at life. 

There is nothing wrong with this. This is how we gather memories. I do this to catch those quick moments at family gatherings, school events: lift, aim, shoot.

Lift, aim, shoot.

The problem is that we get stuck in that perspective rut because it is comfortable and easy. We do not know how to see life from any other vantage point because we have never taken the effort to see it any other way. (I'm tellin' ya, photography can be a great life teacher.)

My Picture Inspiration assignment this week was to capture a picture from "the ground up." Our teacher pushed us in this area for this very reason: to get out of our comfortable rut, to see life from a different perspective.

So yesterday I risked staining my white cardigan sweater, stretched out on the grass underneath the play structure and caught this little lady peering over the edge from my "ground up" perspective. 

I have always liked shooting from the ground up, but I have to tell you, I had to be mindful about this one. I was tired, ready to be home, and wished I could just lift, aim, and shoot.

I am so glad I chose to be mindful, become one with the ground.
I would not have caught the leading lines of the ladder taking my eye up to her's. 
I would not have been able to include the beautiful woodwork, compose the lines of the railing and the ceiling and the ladder into a way that settled my eye. 
I would not have been able to place her above me with her hair falling around her face, her one blue eye becoming the target of my focus.

I would not have captured what has now become one of my favorite photos I have taken lately. 

Yea for my PI assignment!

See what changing your perspective does for your soul when you realize all that you would have missed if you had not crawled out of your comfortable place of lift, aim, shoot?



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes! One of my favorite places to shoot from is the ground. That's how I justify dressing like a slob half the time. ;)

Love this shot! :D

stacey said...

Rarely shoot standing. I've gotten some pretty funny looks. :-)

Love this photo! How are you liking your new lens?

traceyclark said...

this story and this image is so inspiring! thank you for sharing it. i'm going to share a link to it in the PI message boards! : ) hope that's ok. hee hee!

hillary said...

wow tracey, what a stunning photo and words to boot! you captured a new perspective and reminded me to find my new. thank you!

Tenille said...

This is a fantastic shot! I love it!

kybarb said...

What a great post and your photo is absolutely gorgeous. I have a hard time getting up and down so have put off trying this but now you did it. Thanks for the inspiration!