Friday, May 27, 2011

one image: irritation



lens: 24-70 2.8
shutter speed: 1/320
fstop: 5.6
ISO: 800

A couple of days ago I wrote about my photographic composing "eye" and admitted to being a bit geeky about it all. In case you did not catch it, I am a visual person. You should watch a movie with me. :) My eyes are always capturing the tiniest details, noticing the things in the background, picking up on facial expressions, distracted by the light and cinematography. I never remember the character's names in a movie. Never. Because it's an auditory thing and I simply do not find it meaningful enough to remember.

So on this random umbrella friday day I am going to take my geekness up a notch, just a bit. Not a lot, I am hoping.

This part of my geeky composing eye comes into play after I have taken the picture, when I am sitting at the computer staring at a photo that I cannot seem to decide if I like or not.

I have this OCD'ish thing sometimes with a photo, like the one above, where the photo will totally work for me except for one small irritating piece over which my eye cannot seem to stop obsessing.

For example, in the photo above: that stupid, white, upside-down, hand-written, sticker on the umbrella, the sticker that is not even completely stuck to the handle. (Which totally drives me crazy too.)

I want to rip it off and throw it in to the street.

You may have not even noticed the sticker, but my eye goes straight to it every time I look at this photo. Then it goes directly to those creepy monkey claw back scratchers, and then that's it, that's all I can handle. (Why do they make those back scratchers look like monkey claws?! Those are monkey claws right? Why did I take this photo?)

I do not care if the sticker adds an interesting detail to the photo.

Rip. It. Off.

Raise your hand if you agree with me.

Or maybe you should just raise your hand with me in agreement that your week has been one long week and you just need your space and that is why you are overly irritated at the stupid, white, upside-down, hand-written, sticker on the umbrella handle.

Then you can also raise your hand in agreement that even though this photo should be tossed, that one wooden back scratcher with the red claw looks really nice right now, and that you would not mind being the test subject for one of those at this very moment.

If you are raising your hand with me then many blessings for rest over your weekend and mine. We need it!

Now, if you need a soothing photo after looking at this one, click here to see one of my photog friend's umbrella photos. She told me last week that she had some to post but didn't get them up in time.
Heather, your delay was actually perfect timing. Your photo was needed on this very Friday to rescue me from mine. :)

Happy Friday!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Those monkey claws are VERY creepy. And the sticker is annoying. But it's still a good picture. :)

Heather M. said...

Oh my gosh, I NEVER remember people's names from movies either - bonding moment. ;)

and i'm cracking up at your sticker irritation. ;)

thanks for the link to my photo. i completely disagree that it makes up for anything. your photo does a mighty fine job of standing up on its own. ;) but thank you for the love.

hope you have a very restful and relaxing weekend.

Jenny said...

I went first to the sticker, then to that weird sea urchin looking thing (which made me upset). :)

stacey said...

Monkey claw things = totally creepy.

Rose said...

I love the picture and the legs walking in the background. Knowing me, if I got annoyed about the sticker - off it would go in Photoshop (which has been open every day this VERY LONG week) and I would breathe peacefully.

Angela Chandler said...

Silly girl, this is a wonderful picture! My eye goes to the bright colors, then the handles of the umbrellas, then the walking feet. I didn't notice the sticker or weird monkey claws until you told us ;)

MrBob2UBuddy said...

My eyes are immediately drawn to the brilliant colors of the umbrellas. I never saw the sticker...until you said so. Now I can't help but notice it. Gee thanks. :-)

Eva said...

I was behind in reading your posts. Just caught up and I"m thinking....you should teach a class! Love reading your take on photography..and as always looking at your pictures!