Friday, May 6, 2011

R.F.U.D.

Last fall Bean was obsessed with a certain song. And frankly, I secretly loved could not stand to listen to it. We took a big break from it for several months and kind of forgot about it.  Then, when I was going through these umbrella photos, I found myself humming along to them.

So to begin this Random Friday Umbrella Day, I would like to unapologetically bring this song back into the our minds and introduce you to Bean's debut umbrella montage--with her singing Miley's "Party in the USA"...




(You can thank me later when you find yourself humming this tune all day in your head.)

Here's my bit of Friday randomness:

My son had the "6th grade talk" this past week in school. It was all good, no surprises, nothing that we had not already shared with him. But it brought back those memories of coming home with the little educational pamphlets and being highly embarrassed at the anatomical drawings included in them. With this sort of stuff I try to be really natural and relaxed, talk like this is every day conversation material in our house because I want them to never be ashamed or feel isolated in their thoughts over their changing bodies.

So when he plopped into the car he pulled out the pamphlet and told me all about it without me having to ask him. I gave him a smile and asked him if it was embarrassing to discuss this stuff in class. He said that it was (the boys just nervously laughed through it all) and then with a total huff and roll of his eyes he told me he was frustrated because he thought it was highly unfair that the drawings of the naked, puberty-evolving girls were not as detailed as the drawings of the naked, puberty-evolving boys.

I swiped the papers out of his hands to inspect the drawings. I am not sure what more he wanted from the girl drawings?! They were pretty anatomically and scientifically detailed.  And then I went silent and handed the pictures back to him and told him that they were detailed enough and wondered if I should shred them when we got home?

I am telling you friends, this puberty stuff is fun. I may present this calm front to my children about the whole thing, but inside I am freaking out.

Ok, so enough puberty talk.  Let us move on with this post!

On Wednesday I mentioned that I was going to be doing another Random Friday Umbrella Day (RFUD) post and invited anyone to join me just for fun. Immediately after the post I had a couple of friends email their umbrella pictures!

My friend, Hilmari, and I have known each other for years and used to live on the same street in our old town. Several years ago she moved back to her home country of South Africa with her Mississippi-bred hubby. I miss her terribly. She does not have a blog (still trying to get her on Facebook) but wanted to participate in RFUD so it was a delight when she emailed me pictures of her kids...




I love those green plastic half-shell umbrellas! When I was a kid, I used to bring mine into the sprinklers and sit underneath the protection of it and listen to the pounding of the water spray.

I have never met Hilmari's smallest child. Makes me desire all the more to get on a plane, camera in hand, and travel to South Africa! Thanks for sharing Hilmari! Love and miss you!


So I would love to have you join me on this RFUD! If you would like to participate then leave me a comment with a link to your post (or flickr pic!) and I will post edit a list below as the day goes on. I will leave this post up all weekend.

Go visit my fellow RFUD'ers....

1. Christine at These Stones. (Hi Christine!)
2. Stacey at sdanddoublee (Fellow Party in the USA fan)








Thanks for joining me!
xoxo
t

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

*raises hand* secret lover of "Party in the USA" also!!

Adorable umbrella montage! What a sweet little lady, I can tell she has a lot of personality! Love her owl shirt, too.

RFUD is a fabulous idea. Someday I'll have to participate!

stacey said...

So, I opened your blog this morning at breakfast and on comes the song and Evie IMMEDIATELY stands on her chair, starts singing, and puts her hands up. Eli joins her and before I know it we are all dancing along. I was not so secretly obsessed with that song last fall so it was fun to hear it again. Thanks for bringin' it back. Loved the umbrella montage.

elizabeth said...

thanks for making me smile this morning - and yes now I will probably be humming this all day to!!

Skeller said...

Bean is too, too, TOOOOO cute. :-)

And your son's response to the brochure??? [hahaha, ROFL, snort.] ;-)

Jamie said...

I am in love with the picture from 30-34 seconds of her shadow. It's absolutely gorgeous. You're so talented. =]

Also, I went to a private school from 1st-9th grade, and we didn't talk sex ed. At all, ever. And my mom didn't talk sex ed with me either. Needless to say, when I woke up to my first period, I thought I was dying. I'm always thankful (for the children's sake) for mom's who educate their children in all aspects.

Sarah said...

So not ready for those talks with my kids. Love the umbrella pix!

www.thisfarmfamilyslife.blogspot.com

Jenny said...

I would like to take this time to lament my lack of a cool umbrella. I have the same ridiculous umbrella for I don't know how many years that's covered in cats... lame!

Also, thanks for sharing the pics of Hilmari's kiddos! I used to take care of Baylor when he was a baby!

And... loving the pictures of Bean. Her sweet soul really shines through.