Tuesday, June 14, 2011

seeing double



What is like to wake up every morning to your own face smiling back at you?

To never be alone, be without a friend?

To share a birthday?

To have people (or...ahem...someone like me) confuse your names?

To out-number your big brother when you gang up on him?

To struggle for your own identity...or take comfort in the similarities?

To share a closet full of clothes...or want your own closet full of clothes?

To share the same messy room...or clean room?

To share experiences with someone who will be a back up in case your memory fails?

To know each other better than any one else could?

Tell me girls, because I have always wondered what it would be like to be a double of someone else. Two humans formed from the same mold; replicas with intricate and subtle differences. I wonder if you take comfort in your doubleness or if you seek ways to individuate. I guess it might be different for every set of doubles and yet, I will never know. I share no mirror image with another. I am me, and I am all I have.

So tell me, what is it like to be a twin?

******

My Picture Inspiration assignment this week was to photograph "a coupling". Two subjects, together, identical or not, but somehow fitting of each other. I chose to capture an identical coupling in human form. How could I pass up this opportunity? If you had a photo assignment such as this and there were twins standing in front of you, wouldn't you be begging/bribing them for a photo too?

I see you sitting there in front of your computer screen, nodding your head "yes".

Thank you.

3 comments:

Heather M. said...

i am nodding yes for sure! how perfectly appropriate this photo is. love it!

Andrea said...

What a great "seeing double" photo! (I'm behind, once again.)
:-) a

Marvett Smith said...

What a great image, and I love their connection. Beautiful!