Wednesday, May 4, 2011

dishing



Picture Inspiration prompt this week: "from the kitchen"

Honestly, I wasn't thrilled about this prompt.

One, I do not have a creative, fun kitchen. It's nice and all, super functional, it just lacks any creativity or good light and so I am always jealous of people who takes these beautifully, softly lit photos of their breakfast table, or breakfast bowls of oatmeal. Also, taking pictures of kitchen stuff is not usually my go-to for inspiration.

Two, I did not have much margin for time and creativity this week so these photos took me all of ten seconds to shoot while I was making dinner and my kids were watching iCarly on insta-Netflix. I just aimed up into my kitchen cabinets and caught what I saw. (Soooooo creative.) I wish I had been more mindful, or at least had picked a quiet, iCarly-free time to take my pictures.



However, after uploading them and looking at them, posting them here, I have to say that there a few things I do like about these photos.

One, they capture the dishes that have been with me since I first registered for them over fifteen years ago. These are standard Crate and Barrel Cafeware dishes and I still like them. I love that there is a small chip in the bottom plate (in the first pic) on the right. When I look at the photo I want to reach in and twist the plates around to hide it. It creates a little photo tension and I like it. Imperfection is sometimes good.

Two, that red bowl is one of four Fiesta ware bowls my mom gave to me a couple of summers ago after her trip to Homer Laughlin. She is a collector of Fiesta ware and I have taken a liking to it too. I love the vintage, yet modern lines and I love the colors (the pale aqua's are my favorite). As you can tell, when I was first married I thought that I wanted everything white white white. As I have grown older I have begun to favor color, especially when it is a simple addition to the neutral back drop. Get my drift?

Okay, so thus ends my PI rambling for the week.

On another note...
Friday is coming, and if you have been here before on the last few Fridays you know that I have been posting some umbrella pictures that have been hiding in my photo files for the last few months. I have jokingly titled my Fridays the "Random Umbrella Friday Posts" because it seems that everyone in the photo/blogging/flickr world has a special photo day of the week, and I have felt left out. (Totally kidding! Just poking a little fun at it all.)

So if you would like to join me THIS Friday in posting your own Random Umbrella Friday picture (with ramblings included), then please, by all means, join me! If you do, and you want to let me know, then come back here on Friday and leave a comment and I will post edit a link to your blog in my post so that others can see them over the weekend. If no one joins me that's okay. I won't cry. I just wanted to open it up to others who have mentioned that they feel left out too.

Let us all umbrella away!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the stack of plates! And I think it's hilarious that you referenced my oatmeal. ;) Hahhaa! I'm tempted to bust out the umbrellas this week! ;)

Amanda said...

Love the dishes - I have the same ones from C&B...I tell myself they are timeless but I also love a splash of color once in a while. Perfectly exposed...not boring at all! :)

Tami said...

As soon as I saw the chip, I thought, "Oh good, her dishes have chips too!" I've been wondering how long one is supposed to keep using chipped plates before replacing them. I think I've decided to keep them as long as I have kids in the house.

Heather M. said...

i love, love, love white dishes combined with a special one with a pop of colour. these photos speak to my inner minimalist - love them.

stacey said...

I love them. That's all. :-)

Marvett Smith said...

Love the white dishes.

Andrea said...

Love both of these shots. So bright and simple and clean. I felt the same way about this week's prompt.
(And thank you for the shout-out link to my photo!)
hugs!

Unknown said...

I love the composition of the first one and the minimalism of the second. This was a hard one for me, too.

elizabeth said...

love your photos - and i love fiesta ware to - my new kitchen will be all white with glass front doors on a cabinet to show off all the colors of fiesta I have -
have a great weekend